top of page

Peppers stuffed with Balsamic Vinegar Infused Chickpea Couscous and Buffalo Mozzarella

Cook Time:

30 minutes


Portion for 2 - 3 people

Peppers stuffed with Balsamic Vinegar Infused Chickpea Couscous and Buffalo Mozzarella

60 g pine kernels
4 large red, 1 small green peppers (Capsicum)
133 g chickpea couscous
200 millilitres gluten free vegetable stock
1 dessert spoon balsamic vinegar
A few twists of salt and pepper
½ a teaspoon powdered fenugreek
A handful of fresh basil leaves
150 g buffalo mozzarella

Begin by pre-heating your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. While this is happening, remove the top of the red peppers (Capsicum) where the stalk was, then slice down each side to halve each pepper before removing the seeds and white internal structures, wash thoroughly inside and out then place on a lightly oiled baking tray. When done, repeat with the small green pepper then slice into fingers and dice once washed and set aside. Heat a large frying pan and toast the pine kernels until they are browned then remove to a bowl and leave to cool. Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to the same pan then stir fry the green pepper until cooked (roughly 3 – 5 minutes) on a medium heat then set aside.

When the oven is ready, add the prepared peppers and cook for 20 minutes. Continue by placing the vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar, powdered fenugreek, salt and pepper in a small saucepan and heat until steam rises or it starts to simmer. Measure out the chickpea couscous in a large bowl then pour over the stock and stir thoroughly. Leave the couscous to soak up the liquid for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, wash the basil and chop finely. When the time is up stir through the chickpea couscous and add the pine kernels, green pepper and chopped basil then stir again. Then drain the buffalo mozzarella and slice thinly.
Finally, when the peppers have had the 20 minutes in the oven remove and fill with the chickpea couscous mix, firmly push in with the bottom of a spoon then top with the mozzarella slices and put back in the oven for 10 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

bottom of page